Search This Blog

Saturday, February 14, 2009

Amazing God

A few months ago, a friend encouraged me to ask God to amaze me--a challenge, I thought. But last week as I talked with God, I said, "Father, amaze me. I don't care how. You pick, but amaze me." A few days later, I received a phone call from a friend I hadn't seen or heard from in 33 years. Frankly, I didn't know he was still alive. At the time, I had no idea how he found me but even as I write this blog, am amazed by God's ability.

Reduced to speechlessness is not an occurrence that happens to me often. But I am humbled that the God of the whole earth would take the time, the care, to listen to one of His daughters personally. This God who names the stars, can hold the heavens in the span of His hand cares enough to give such gifts to me. I have an awe in my spirit that I have never known before; God, in His magnitude can also be so intimate.

Why I matter to Him I do not know but how thankful I am for it. There is a largeness about God that makes me revere Him but I also ask myself where in my life have I made Him small. There is a song, the words go like this: "I have made You too small in my life. Oh, Lord, forgive me. When I have believed in the lie that You were unable to help me. But now, oh, Lord, I see my wrong. Heal my heart and show Yourself strong. And in my life and with my song, oh, Lord, be magnified."

I have made Him so small but He has not changed from the powerful, passionate God of the Bible. He is still almighty, all powerful, a strong tower, the God of the Angel Armies, in control and mighty. His strength has not diminished one molecule over time; He's as powerful and able today as ten million years ago. But we limit Him. We think too small and only ask for easy things.

This encounter with God amazing me has challenged me in ways I never thought possible. But, I have a deeper realization that He is the God of the impossible. The scripture teaches that nothing is impossible with God--I should also add, nothing is impossible for God. Today, I stand with my eyes on Him. I am looking with expectation for what He is going to do. He's a planner and does everything with a specific set of purposes.

Making God small fits our instant, quick-fix mentality but it deeply saddens me. How many times have I done Him the disservice of keeping Him in a controllable little box? Am I comfortable with a small, manageable God? I am put in mind of a line from the Chronicles of Narnia. The discussion was between Mr. & Mrs. Beaver and the girl. Aslan, they told her, "was not safe." There is an aspect of God's Person that isn't safe. He can't be confined, controlled, or dictated to. He is often unpredictable, difficult to understand, and imposing. My encouragement to you, is to let God be large in your life.

Let Him amaze you.

3 comments:

susanne lakin said...

Hi Debbi, I really like what you said. I've been kicking around the possibility of writing a novel that uses a lot of my family secrest and utilizing the pain I've gone through. I have been very hesitant to do so, so I prayed for God to show me what to do, what to write next. That night I woke wide awake at 3am with a title, theme and the details fo a first chapter as validation to start this journey. God does care about our hearts and knows we want to honor him. He connected me to a cousin I haven't seen in over 40 years--which led to a letter written by my father (who died when I was 4). Amazing stuff.

A_Heart_Like_Mine said...

Yeah, I personally make God small on a regular basis. Which I wish I wouldn't do what I hate but I do! (paraphrase of Paul in Romans 7!)8^) Good reminder, Deb!

Michele said...

God truly is amazing. I, for one, am so thankful that He answered your prayer.

I do often out God in a box and expect less than He wants to give. I need to let Him do what He wants, in my life.

Love you

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom