Search This Blog

Sunday, April 19, 2009

Wait...and Other Four-Letter Words

David wrote: "I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, and herd my cry." Psalm 40:1. I researched the verse a bit because the word "waited" popped out at me. Of course, any derivative of the word has been popping out at me for some time: wait, waiting, waited. In this particular verse, waited patiently means (in the modern vernacular), "I waited, and waited, and waited..."

This is not what I wanted to hear. I don't like waiting, but I think that's a malady of human nature. I learned long ago not to pray for long-suffering (you'll get it with both spiritual barrels, if you do). I pray for short-suffering and some days even nano-suffering. (My flesh prefers nano-suffering.)

My spirit, is another matter.

God has been working diligently and with a great deal of patience to teach me a discipline I need to learn: wait. It seemed every time I opened my Bible a wait verse seized me. Habakkuk 2:3, ...though it tarry, wait for it. Turn quickly to Isaiah...wait verses. And I don't even want to mention the Psalms. David was the king of waiting. He waited watching the mulberry bush. He waited in caves. He waited in other countries. In the wilderness, he waited. Many's the time I wanted to take my pencil and scratch out that word! David had the ability to wait.

I think I'm missing that gene.

I'm a get-it-done kind of person and could not see the value of waiting when there was work to be done. Yet, God in His sovereign wisdom knows how much I needed to incorporate this discipline. Slowly (ack), He's taught me the benefit of waiting for Him. That's the key. The point was never to just sit idly twiddling my thumbs. It was to wait for His timing before proceeding.

For high-octane people like myself, to wait can be excruciating. But, I've come to relax in the knowledge that He knows full well when to move. This discipline of waiting teaches me that I can trust God at a level I never knew before.

7 comments:

conarnold said...

Learning to wait is a difficult but important lesson. Thanks for sharing this, Debbi!

Jenny M. said...

Very well written. I loved the "nano" term! Seems like when I insist that I deserve to get what I want RIGHT NOW and God says, "Well, okay then," it never turns out to be what I really wanted after all.

christianbookshopsblog said...

It's the four letter word in your opening sentence I like: "He inclined to me, and herd my cry" — lends a whole new meaning to how God deals with our cries! Like a farmer, herding them in to be milked; or to be slaughtered? Let's not go there — being milked is ominous enough!

christianbookshopsblog said...

Figured it's only polite to let you know I've blogged this: He herd my cry….

Thanks for a thought provoking post, albeit maybe not quite going in the direction you thought it would — guess I'd better get praying now!

Jane said...

I know how hard it is to wait....and wait...and wait some more - but, you're right on - God does know how and why. It reminds me of making bread - you & I love those yeast rolls - and guess what? There's the wait time to get them so beautiful, light, fluffy and tasty. Well, sometimes we've got to wait - in order to rise - and that might mean "rise" above our troubles, our fears, even, rise above average. God wants spectacular for his children! Good post!

Shelley said...

Be still, and know that I am God.

Colleen Foshee said...

Love the title and the nano reference. I'm getting old and wise enough to know that often the wait keeps me from getting what I don't want! The up side of waiting, though painful, is that I get to know what's really lurking inside myself. Waiting reveals a lot! What's not acknowleged can't be changed. Wait on... until the wait is over. And it always is...sometime. Great post. Diggin the shoes too. I'll wait for you to get tired of them before you give them to me.

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom