Search This Blog

Saturday, July 4, 2009

Endings & Beginnings

I just moved into another house. In unpacking, I picked up a 4-sectioned Clifford plate that my grandson eats from when he visits. I bought it when he was 2 years old; he's now 9. I contemplated whether to toss it because he's outgrown it. Or, should I keep it for sentimental reasons? It seems sad to let it go as I recalled many wonderful times we shared over that plate. The truth is that my grandson keeps growing up and that he is no longer my pudgy-faced elf. He's growing up, whether I like it or not. It's a fact of life.

I hate endings.

Yet, as I've matured, I know that endings are also beginnings. While his infancy is over, his preteens are in full swing and I can enjoy them with him in a larger variety of ways. And for this I am thankful. I celebrate this part of his journey with him.

It is the same way with our spiritual walk. Ending a spiritual infant stage brings many sad moments and even grief over growing up but the journey becomes richer and more fulfilling as we mature in Christ. Many shun spiritual adulthood and try with all their might to hang onto being a spiritual baby. The writer of Hebrews admonished the church for this very thing when he said, "For even though by this time you ought to be teaching others, you actually need someone to teach you over again the very first principles of God's Word. You have come to need milk, not solid food." Hebrews 5:12, Amplified Bible

Yet, the end of spiritual infancy is what it's about. Nowhere in scripture does it indicate that some are exempt from growing up. Imagine what the world would be like if the human body refused to grow. Or, if we refuse to grow up emotionally. Not productive people, these. Yet, Jesus calls us into our adulthood. He set the precedent; we're to follow it.

So, grieve an ending if you need but remember, endings are also beginnings.

By the way, I decided to ask my grandson whether he wanted to keep the plate or toss it and get a new one. He looked at it and said, "Keep it."

I'm smiling.

4 comments:

A_Heart_Like_Mine said...

I'm smiling with you. My son is 19 and we still hold on to some precious items. But they are saved in a secret draw in his room. He will go off to college in Olympia soon and my husband and I are always hounding him to "grow up." It is an ending. But definitely a new beginning. Thanks for the sweet words today!

Jenny M. said...

Thought-provoking and encouraging as I see my little boys growing into men of 24 and 25. We've recently gone through a lot of boxes and a ton of nostalgia. Keep the things that mean the most to you and to them. Take pictures of the rest and pass it on.

Michele said...

The growth of my daughters has been a bit tough, but also joyous. My spiritual growth has been a longer time coming, but I know it is necessary and also joyous.

Debbie said...

I love your post, it made me think about my own spiritual growth. It takes work and willingness to move out of my comfort zone.

Also I found my my "baby" spoon in our silverware drawer the other day, I used it to feed our son when he was a baby and soon it will be used to feed our grandson when he visits.

We passed most of his cups and plates to his cousins as he grew, but I'm glad we kept a few very special items. It will be fun to tell my grandson that his Dad and even his "Nonni" used them long ago...

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom