Search This Blog

Sunday, April 4, 2010

Feed the Need

The church is fast becoming a product for consumers; a spectator sport. Many view church with no more validity than going to a ballgame. Yet, there is a deep innate hunger in us that cannot be quenched by booze, parties, fame. It cannot be filled by success, money, knowledge, or romance.

Pascal put it best, "What else does this craving, and this helplessness, proclaim but that there was once in man a true happiness, of which all that now remains is the empty print and trace? This he tries in vain to fill with everything around him, seeking in things that are not there the help he cannot find in those that are, though none can help, since this infinite abyss can be filled only with an infinite and immutable object; in other words by God himself."

Church is more than entertainment, more than a social club, it is the one place where we can go to fill this void. We may not always want to hear what's being said. We may not like being challenged to live a better life but we need to hear these things. Easter once again reminds me how deeply I need refreshment, refilling in my spirit. The endless desire to relate with my Creator compels me to seek Him. Like many, I've learned that nothing the world has to offer speaks to the real issues relevant to my existence like worship does.

Trying to fill the void with anything other than God Himself is like putting water in your gas tank. You've filled it with something but not what it needed. Your spirit needs fellowship with its Creator.

Feed the need.

No comments:

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom