Search This Blog

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Not all of us Yack

I walked into the middle of a heated debate some time ago. My best friend and one of her friends were duking it out verbally. Her friend (a gentleman) was developing a Bible course for young marrieds. In preparing for the course, he'd mentioned that men do not like to "hear women yacking all the time."

Like any decent female, my best friend took exception to this term. She stated soundly that she never "yacks." What she has to say is relevant and worth listening to, else she doesn't say it. He disagreed about the yacking part. He tried (in vain) to point out that women and men are created differently. Women like to "yack" (his term, not mine) and that men simply do not care to hear it. He went on to extol praise on the males of creation for their seemingly endless endurance over the ages. Pat, pat, pat, on the back. The point he tried to make was that "weren't they nice guys for doing this?"

I stood by silently watching the joust. It was quite entertaining. My best friend's husband wisely chose to hide behind a newspaper.

As the debate heated up, it was painfully obvious that this man was fighting a losing battle. His face turned red. His forehead veins throbbed. Women have larger cerebral cortexes and medulla oblongatas (or is it oblongti?). He should have known this. I contemplated telling him that since his class was to marrieds that at least half of them would take offense to the word "yack," the other half would be hiding behind newspapers.

Lest I be accused of yacking, I restrained myself from explaining to him that both his word choice and his attitude were condescending. I mulled whether I should enlighten him: if his intention was to communicate an effective lesson to his entire audience, he might want to select another, less provocative word; like diarrhea of the mouth. Wait. That's four words. Okay, how about loquacious? That one even sounds nice.

The aforementioned debate ended, as many often do, with him clinging to his manly man life raft grasping for any available out. His came in a desperate plea to my best friend's husband (still hiding behind the newspaper): "Hey, what do you think about this?" The husband peeked over the top of the paper and stated: "You're on your own, buddy."

Poor thing.

With that nail in his coffin, the man gave up. My best friend, although her feathers were still ruffled, explained that if he wanted to reach the women of his audience, he might choose another word.

Hmmm? Now, where have I heard that before?

2 comments:

Steena Holmes said...

My husband once said the term 'yack' in regards to women when he was preaching ... oh so long ago ... he ended up apologizing the following week for the poorly used word.

The man hiding behind the paper was wise ;)

Barbara said...

Love your sense of humor, Debbi.

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom