Search This Blog

Friday, December 31, 2010

The Voice of Truth

I’ve taken stock of 2010; in many ways it was one of the worst years of my life. Being beaten down, crushed, bruised, and molded in a spiritual sense is painful, but this year the crushing was particularly fierce. Batting away negative, destructive thoughts was a fulltime occupation.

2010 was a bloody-knuckled battle to the last day. Words like: failure pounded my mind and pierced my soul. Black days loomed one upon another and there seemed no hope of rescue. It was as though God had forgotten me—or worse, abandoned me.

Another slug-fest in the battlefield of the mind.

Trying to surmise 2010, I listened to a song that encapsulates the entire year: The Voice of Truth. No matter what the world says, no matter what your own mind says, no matter how people perceive you, no matter how you perceive yourself, the only voice that rings true every time is His voice.

What a blessing!

This morning, I read in Jeremiah 32 and 33 that His plans are good, He will rejoice over me, He will bring good to me, His covenant with me is permanent and no one can break it. This is the voice of truth. The voice of encouragement, and I am encouraged that the God of all creation takes time with this daughter to encourage and build-up.

So, I encourage you to open His word and lay hold of the promises of a loving, patient God who is all about success, edification, and promise. Devour His word, live on it daily and you too, will come out of the darkness to the bright shining new day.

I understand that circumstances are not the authority, people (even well-meaning ones) are not the authority, my own self is not the authority. God is. Enough said.

6 comments:

Jane said...

Debbi I began reading (again) 50 People Every Christian Should Know - and the first story is about Katherine von Bora, who lost her mother at the age of 5 and her father deposited her in a boarding school, then at the age of 9 he placed her in the Cistercian convent. Imagine the life of this little girl - no mother, training and discipline very astere, officially becoming a nun at the age of 16. However that was not to be her life - she met Martin Luther, and eventually became his wife which completely changed her destiny. Reading about her early life one feels the pain of a little girl cast into strange circumstances and expected to cope. Yet, these hard uncompromising circumstances no doubt formed within her a spine of steel - which she would need. It's a very interesting read - and I would encourage you to believe that whatever circumstances you have been cast into - it is for His high purpose for your future in Him - not because He has something against you or loves you less - but because He is preparing you for something much greater than you could possibly conceive! As you have already said - saturate yourself in His word and His spirit; He will give you what you seek - unity of spirit with Him. As Jesus prayed for his followers - and us - "that we would be one, with Him and the Father" - living in Him, and He in us - total unity - so that NOTHING can ever divide!

Jane said...

Those are indeed very sassy shoes!!!

Jenny Mertes said...

I'm reminded by your post to be aware of how I judge a year's success or failure. What have I done to advance God's kingdom on earth? Whose life have I touched in his name? My natural bent is to think about how much money I earned, what vacations I took, or what possessions I acquired, when actually the bruising and beating I took this past year was the best part, in terms of my growth. And the highlight of my year wasn't anything materials, but rather praying for and witnessing the restoration of a relationship between two people I love. Learning to see my year through God's eyes will be my goal for 2011. Thank you for helping me see this more clearly.

Debbi said...

Jane: You spoke the very thing God shared with me in the wee hours last night... Thanks! I so appreciate you, your friendship and your faithful counsel.

Jenny: I'm praising God with you! The crushing hurts but the rewards are great. I am praying God richly bless you in 2011.

Dakota said...

Hey, I just came across your blog by doing a bit of blog-surfing and I'm glad I did! I've added myself as your newest follower, and I hope you'll check out my Christian devotional site as well: www.nocondemnation81.blogspot.com

Have a blessed day!

In Christ,
Dakota

Debbi said...

Dakota: Thanks! I liked your blog spot. It looks like you're an avid hunter. God bless as you walk with Him.

I Love Dancing in the Leaves

I Love Dancing in the Leaves
Celebrate Freedom